Thursday, December 31, 2015

Prompt: "A clear conscience makes a soft pillow."



They say that a clear conscience makes a soft pillow. Truer words have never been spoken. I realize this as I sit strapped to the electric chair. Having finally admitted all my sins and crimes, last night was the best night's sleep I've had in 25 years. Why they made me suffer and wait so long to finally be free of myself I will never understand. Perhaps I deserved it for what I did. Perhaps I didn't. Either way it no longer matters. Within another ten minutes my life will be over.

I wish I could take back all the things that I have done and make things right again. I can wish that all I want and never be able to do it. All I can do is hope that the families whose lives I ruined will some day be able to find it in their hearts to forgive me for what I did to them. Forgiving isn't something most people do very well and I suppose that's okay too as long as they can live with that hatred toward me.

I'm the lucky one I guess. Soon I will no longer have to suffer the guilt of what I did. The families will still be here hating me for what I did to them, still suffering. May they find peace one day so that they can sleep as well as I did last night.

1 comment:

  1. Hi! Can i say " a good conscience is a good pillow"?

    ReplyDelete