Monday, December 28, 2015

"If you lie down with dogs, you'll end up with fleas."


"If you lie down with dogs, you'll end up with fleas."



What does that mean anyway. I'm sure it isn't literal, even though it can be. The only thing I can come up with is that if you make friends with bad people you will end up like them. Google confirmed. So here goes:


"Martin, ya never treated me like that before, what's gotten into ya." Martha cries out to him from the floor.

Martin kicks her in the ribs. The air escapes Martha's lungs quickly. "That's none of your business woman. Now shut your yap before I have to hurt ya more."

Martha knows what got into him. It's those men he's been hanging with. All they do is drink, fight, steal and beat up their helpless woman. Oh and let's not forget that they lay with the Ladies at the saloon as well. Lord knows what all kind of bugs Martin has picked up from them. Martha shivers just thinking about it.

"Martin, " she says barely audible. "Please find different people for friends. These current ones ain't nothing but trouble and you know it. Please, Martin, I love you but I cannot take much more of living like this.  I cannot...."

"Woman I told you to hush that mouth of yours."  With as much force as possible, Martin kicks Martha in the head bashing it against the end bed post where she'd been lying on the floor.

Martin sees blood coming out from under Martha's head. "Lord, what have I done." He gets down on his knees next to Martha and lifts her head into his lap. "Noooo. Martha I am so sorry. I never meant for anything like this to happen. Please Lord," he prays "please don't let her die. I will change my ways. That's my promise to you and to Martha both. Please Lord hear my pleas.

Martha's eyes flutter gently like a butterfly.

No comments:

Post a Comment