Sunday, May 3, 2015

The Story of Three



Again I have combined writing prompts from two challenges: A Story a Day and The 1-31 Number Challenge.

Prompts: Limit your story to 640 words   and   the number three


Last night my best friend Brenda picked me up in her convertible for a girls' night out. Just as we hit the main road we saw a crow a few feet in front of us snacking on something. As we approached, the crow took flight,it's wings creating a slight breeze, as it flew over our heads cawing. Caw. Caw Caw.

"That was a little weird." We said in unison. We looked at each other, giggled and shrugged it off.

I cranked the music as Brenda accelerated, heading down the highway. The wind took hold of our hair, tossing it around like popcorn. The night was perfect. The moon was full and bright, casting an eerie light upon everything. 

We had blasted through three songs as we were flying down the highway. As the fourth song started, my eye caught a glimpse of something several feet in front of us along the shoulder of the road. 

"What is that? Do you see it, Brenda?"

"Uh, no. Oh wait, yes. No way."

Just as she said that, my eyes focused on what was there. Along the shoulder sat two crows sharing whatever happened to be there to feast on. The closer we got, the more the moon glistened over their wings. Suddenly, they took off, flying over our heads cawing. Caw. Caw. Caw.

"That was just too freaky." I could not take my eyes off them as they flew off into the darkness. I watched until I could no longer see them. As I started to turn around, I noticed a spot in the back running down the seat like ice cream down a cone on a hot day.

"Ew. One of them left you a present." I snickered as I got turned around in my seat.

"Ugh, great. I hope that isn't too difficult to wash off."

One of our favorite song started playing and we were on our way again, the crows left behind. We pulled out our invisible microphones and sang along with the tune. We were be-bopping along, singing louder than the stereo, when we both noticed something just coming into view down the road a ways.

"Please don't tell me that's what I think it is." Brenda almost whispers. "That is too much of a coincidence. Get your phone out and look up what crows can mean."

I pull my phone out of my purse, swipe the lock to on, and head to Google. 

"O M G there's three of them this time. I can just make out all their shapes. What are you finding on Google?"

"Well, it says several different things but one thing it can symbolize is death." I look up from my phone just in time to yell my last words. "Brenda, look out."

Brakes squeal. Burning rubber nauseates me. There is no time for Brenda to swerve back into our lane. The tractor trailer is too close. Scraping of metal on metal sends shivers like fingernails on a chalkboard. Brenda screams. Everything becomes black.

My eyes flutter open in my mind allowing me to hear and feel things around me. Mom cries next to me. Her warm hand holds mine. Her lips are soft on my forehead. My throat is sore and parched. It's a tube. I have tubes sticking out of me all over the place; I can feel them. The steady blip, blip, blip of the machines gives me something to focus on.

I see black. Nothing more. A breeze blows through my hair. Blip. Blip. Blip. 

Music. Faint music plays. Blip. Blip. Blip. 

I was with Brenda but she isn't here now. Blip. Blip. Blip. 

Where is she? "Brenda, look out." Blip. Blip. Blip. 

Wait. What is that coming? Along the road three crows feasting on Brenda, right before taking off over my head cawing. Caw. Caw. Caw.



A note from me:  I am thoroughly enjoying these challenges and am ecstatic that I am writing again. I hope you all enjoy reading my writing as much as I enjoy writing it. Do what makes your spirit soar no matter what others may think.

No comments:

Post a Comment